Sunday 2 February 2014

How do you set, clear and toggle a single bit in C/C++?

Setting a bit
Use the bitwise OR operator (|) to set a bit.
number |= 1 << x;
That will set bit x.
Clearing a bit
Use the bitwise AND operator (&) to clear a bit.
number &= ~(1 << x);
That will clear bit x. You must invert the bit string with the bitwise NOT operator (~), then AND it.
Toggling a bit
The XOR operator (^) can be used to toggle a bit.
number ^= 1 << x;
That will toggle bit x.
Checking a bit
You didn't ask for this but I might as well add it.
To check a bit, AND it with the bit you want to check:
bit = number & (1 << x);
That will put the value of bit x into the variable bit.

1 comments:

I am really feeling quite cheerful and motivated after reading this content. You shared wonderful research-based information. I started working at Eiliana.com as a freelancer, an emerging freelancing platform where there are ample clients who wish to hire a programmer for their projects. The work environment is wonderful, and I love working here. I suggest my aspiring buddies join them.

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More